Thursday, December 27, 2012

Low-Fat Food.... not all it's cracked up to be?

OK.... so I've been trying REALLY hard to read labels, and make good choices at the grocery store. I try to stay on the periphery (produce, meats, dairy....) and stay out of the aisles unless I really, really need something, like brown rice, dried beans, etc.

However.... I am an admitted salad whore. That's alright.... I said it. I'm loud and proud. I love a salad.... packed with tender baby spinach leaves, some nice crisp romaine. Add to that, cucumbers from the garden, bell peppers (NOT from the garden, because no matter how hard I've tried to grow a descent pepper here in Michigan, it doesn't seem to be in the cards. I end up growing meek, thin, Kate Moss looking peppers.... and I like peppers that beg to be stuffed with ground turkey and brown rice!) julienned carrots, since I've now got a nifty julienne slicer..... some home-made gluten-free croutons, a sprinkling of Fromiaggio Quattro, and a nice 2 TBSP serving of Lite Ranch.

I thought I was doing myself a favor, skipping out on some of the fat. Sure.... I remember my Atkins days, when they said "go fully leaded.... nevermind the fat, it's the carbs that count.... get one with 1 carb per serving, and you can have 4 tablespoons if you want" :::::SWOON::::

But then I read this article from HellaWella today, and well..... poop. Atkins was right all along. When they strip out the fat, they have to stuff it with something else. Something MUCH MORE sinister: SUGAR. ::::faint:::::


No comments:

Post a Comment