Friday, April 8, 2011

Dr. Oz and the Lap-Band Patient.... Something Wicked This Way Come!

So, I was catching up on my blog-reading, and saw that the famous Cheese and Sunkist AMY had written about Dr. Oz's show that featured lap-band patients, one at 6 years out, one at 6 months out.

I had SOOOOOO planned on DVRing this show, but with having that boy scout camp sleep-over, and then leaving for Canada a day later for our 4 day trip to Niagra Falls/Toronto, it must have slipped past me :/ I'm hoping to find a copy of the show online. If someone knows where I can find it, let me know :)

ANYWAY.... the 6 month out representative, apparently, wasn't representing.

To quote Amy.......

"They featured two lapband patients, one 6 years out, one 6 months out.  And they showed how much each ate now that they were banded.  The girls 6 months out...get this...

breakfast:  6 tablespoons of yogurt
lunch:  maybe a cup of broth
dinner:  crap...I can't remember...but is wasnt solid either."





I'm sure everyone has bleated on about this..... but I'm gonna add my 22¢ too, cuz I roll like that :)


SIX TABLESPOONS of yogurt? I **know** I ate more than that once I went off mushies, directly after surgery!

I distinctly remember having a McDonald's cheeseburger and small fry when I went to my nephew's wedding in Tiverton, Canada...... on September 27th, 2009...... about six WEEKS out.

I remember being STOKED that it filled me up.

Stoked, because I **would** have eaten (pre-band) a Super-Sized two cheeseburger meal (2 cheeseburgers, 1 extra large fries, 1 extra large Diet Coke) and perhaps an additional cheeseburger. Maybe even a caramel sundae. Without any discomfort, and I would have probably been grazing afterwards.


I'm not sure what's going on with Miss 6 Months Out, but she needs to find herself a NEW doctor?! No one should be eating that little, or that slider, 6 months out. I'd hate to see her blood iron and protein levels??

Amy wrote to Dr. Oz, so I'm sure they'll be lunching soon...... but she also mentioned something else in her post that got me thinking. Thinking about Shelly, who write this fabulous blog: http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/  She writes a post, not sure if it's weekly, bi-weekly, a few times a week, or what...... but it's called "A day in my pouch" where she takes pictures, and describes everything she eats that day. She even gives recipe directions, of which I have taken notes on! She's got some yummy stuff on there! She's a gastric by-pass person, so some of the recipes might not be as band-friendly, but there's plenty that are, and you'll be happy you went!

ANYWAY..... Amy mentioned she would like to see us banded bloggers do something similiar.... show people what you are eating, and how far out from surgery you are, so those that are interested, newly banded, or in need of some REAL data (6 tbsp. of yogurt...... c'mon!) So I am suggesting this to anyone who's willing.

We write a post, every so often, whether it be daily, weekly, bi-weekly, monthly.... heck, every six months. Pix are nice, but not necessary. Recipes are nice, but also not necessary. With a simple log of everything you ate in that day. 

I even thought of a catchy name! Ready for it?  

"My Daily BAND-Width"

C'mon, I know you want to smile, it's that cute.

I'm not sure if anyone else will join me, but I'm going to start doing it. I'll do it once a week.... and I'll probably start on Monday. I will be taking pix, and posting recipes, since I think it's important that if we find a recipe that's Band-tastic, that we share with the class, since there's so many of us that have our top 10 foods we just CANNOT eat.

And since I'm a graphic artist....... Imma gonna hafta make a cute little graphic for it!


1 comment: