Saturday, April 16, 2011

Recipe: Whole Grain, Low Fat, Sugar Free, Chocolate-Chocolate Chip Muffins!

I'm one of those "change it up" people when it comes to recipes. Mostly because, I want to healthy it up :)

Triplet #1 was asking if I would make Chocolate-Chocolate Chip Muffins for a breakfast on the weekends.  He's a picky-picky- PICKY eater. I'd like him to eat more vegetables. Then I was thinking.... "I think there's muffin recipes out there that have zucchini in them....." and I was on the hunt.

This is my adaptation. They are MOIST, dense, and almost brownie-like. My husband LOVES them. Considering he loves to despise things, I was shocked that even HE has asked for me to make these again. And again!

So....... here it is. Adapt as you wish:


Karen's Whole Grain, Low-Fat, Sugar Free Chocolate-Chocolate Chip Muffins
(surprise.... there's fruits and vegetables in this!)

Makes 12 Muffins

Preheat oven to 350°F

1/2 Cup Whole Wheat Flour*
1/2 Cup Rice Flour*
1/2 Cup Sorghum Flour*
1 (1 ounce) Box Sugar Free Fat Free Instant Chocolate Pudding

1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup Splenda or Truvia (or whatever sweetener you prefer)


*(or whatever other wholegrain flour you have, spelt, brown rice, etc.... you can mix your flours however you'd like, but it needs to be 1-1/2 cups worth... if making it gluten-free, you'll need to add 1 teaspoon Xanthan gum..... but if you're a gluten-free foodie, you knew that already, didn't you?? :)



2 eggs
1/4 Cup Oil
1/4 Cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 Cup Fat Free Milk
1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup shredded zucchini (I suggest pureeing it... it hides it assimilates better)

1/2 cup Hershey's sugar free chocolate chips


Mix all dry ingredients together in one bowl (don't add chocolate chips yet) Mix all wet ingredients in another bowl. Combine wet into dry, until evenly moist. Batter will be thick. Mix in chocolate chips.

Divide evenly in a cupcake pan that makes 12 cupcakes. (either use paper inserts, or spray generously with oil)

Cook about 25 minutes. They rise, but not greatly.

They're delish.... careful though, those chocolate chips if eaten in high quantities, can have a laxative effect.

As usual, I've popped all the nutrients into LoseIt.com and got these number for one muffin. A good meal replacement.... the sugar alcohols are about 9 per muffin, so you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment